Northeastern Seminary Blog

Challenged for a Lifetime

Posted by Janice Lum on Feb 24, 2017 11:54:53 AM

Challenged for a Lifetime_Janice Lum_July 2016.jpg

By, Janice Lum MAT ’04

A 20-year-old dream of traveling to Israel tugged at my heart again last spring and my husband encouraged me to “just go.” It was on a whim that I checked the Northeastern Seminary website only to see that, in fact, a study trip was planned for July 2016. As God would have it, all things would pull together for me to attend and I was thrilled.

Read More

Topics: alumni, reflection, Holy Land

Timeless Presence

Posted by Valerie Hardy on Feb 24, 2017 11:46:45 AM

Timeless Presence_Valerie Hardy_July 2016.jpg

By, Valerie Hardy MAT ’17

As I continue to unpack my recent experience in Israel and Jordan I am impressed by God's presence in the ordinary—like seeing again for the first time.

Read More

Topics: alumni, reflection, Holy Land

Wilderness Faith

Posted by Torrance Jones on Jan 31, 2017 7:00:00 AM

Wilderness Faith_Torrance Jones_July 2016.jpg

The task ahead of us is never greater than the power behind us. After my experience today, it is illogical to think in any other way. We journeyed to landmarks rich in the history of our faith.

Read More

Topics: Holy Land, alumni, reflection

In Context, In Israel: Explore, Learn, Grow

Posted by Chris Kelley on Aug 28, 2015 10:00:00 AM
Holy_Land_Trip_20162Imagine standing on the Mount of Olives or walking around the ruins of Jericho. Envision yourself sitting on the ancient steps to the Temple, wading through the dark waters of Hezekiah’s tunnel, standing atop Mt. Nebo (Jordan), and surveying the land of Israel as Moses did in ancient days. Consider what it would be like to swim in the Dead Sea and get refreshed in the streams of En Gedi where David fled from (and encountered) Saul; or to view the wilderness of Maktesh Ramon and walk the Judean wilderness. That is only a fraction of what I experienced in the Holy Land and what has been built into the Northeastern Seminary study tour in Israel coming up in July 2016. My Bible study and devotions have never been the same and messages from the pulpit have come alive whether preaching or listening to others.   

Ever since my first trip to Israel in 1997 I found ways to return again and again—now four times. In a recent trip I studied at Jerusalem University College (JUC), the premiere location to study in Israel. Early in the morning I would wake up and sit on the Old City walls for personal devotions or walk through the Old City before the shops opened and the tourists invaded. With every trip, I found blessing and further confidence and understanding in my study of God’s word. 

Read More

Topics: Holy Land

Holy Land 2016: Musing on a Theology of Place

Posted by Dr. Douglas R. Cullum on Aug 26, 2015 10:00:00 AM

Holy_Land_Trip_2016There are many advantages of making a journey to the Holy Land. An on-location-immersion in the history and geography of the biblical narrative makes the Bible come alive in a fresh way. The stories are no longer distant, flat, or abstract. The stories of the Bible become multi-dimensional and packed with new insight. Having the opportunity to see the sights Jesus saw, walk the streets he walked, and breathe the air he breathed can transform the way we think about the extraordinary measures God took to invest in humanity.

Read More

Topics: Holy Land

Subscribe Here!

Recent Posts

Posts by Tag

See all