Northeastern Seminary Blog

Violence Against Women: Theological Reflection and Response

Posted by Dr. Elizabeth Gerhardt on Aug 19, 2015 11:00:00 AM

Gerhardt-bookcoverDr. Elizabeth Gerhardt addresses the historical, cultural, religious, and political context of global violence against women in her recently published book “The Cross and Gendercide.” Through the lens of theology she proposes how the Church can work together in raising awareness and aid in ending crimes towards women and girls. This passage was taken from Chapter 6, “Creative Theological Reflection and Activism.”

Read More

Topics: domestic violence, church's response to violence, violence against women

Violence Against Women: There is Much Work to be Done, Beginning with the Church

Posted by Marie Moy on Aug 17, 2015 11:58:00 AM

July 28, 2015 the body of an 8-year-old girl who had been raped and strangled was found in a dumpster in Santa Cruz, CA. The suspect in custody is only 15-years-old.[1]

The truth about violence against women is disturbing. The details of this one incident make us uncomfortable, but the reality of the problem is so immense that it impacts each and every one of our lives. Even if you are not a woman, you have a mother, sister, wife, or daughter, someone you love, who is at risk of gender-based violence.

Read More

Topics: church's response to violence, violence against women

The politics of addressing domestic violence in our churches

Posted by Alicia Dixon-Garrard on Aug 13, 2015 12:00:00 PM

violence_against_women_response-566768-editedI was attending a church where I felt I really took ownership of my faith and became acclimated to church culture. At the time, there were several couples who were living together, but not yet married. Upon the arrival of a new pastor, his solution was to encourage the couples to get married sooner rather than later. Consequently, he married a few of them in his office and then the couples later held wedding ceremonies with invited guests.

Read More

Failing to address sexual abuse of teens in our churches

Posted by Alicia Dixon-Garrard on Aug 11, 2015 4:00:00 PM
iStock_000005267594_Large-851045-edited-137864-edited
Early in ministry, I spent a few years leading children’s church and then Sunday School.

One Sunday, a young lady in the youth group sat by me on the pew during opening worship. As was my habit, I put my arm around her for a hug. She pulled her knees to her chest, leaned into me with her head on my shoulder and began sobbing. I just held her not knowing what was wrong. I was unaware of what caused such an open display of pain. Another young lady in the youth group came and got her hand and led her out of the sanctuary. There the second young lady embraced and comforted her crying peer.

Read More

Help us, Lord

Posted by Deana Porterfield on Jun 23, 2015 6:27:00 PM

originally posted June 19, 2015

Read More

Topics: listening, community, church's response to violence, compassion

The Cross and Gendercide: A Theological Response to Global Violence Against Women and Girls

Posted by Maria Rambuski on Jun 4, 2014 9:13:00 AM

describe the image The Cross and Gendercide: A Theological Response to Global   Violence Against Women and Girls

Read More

Topics: community, church's response to violence, Dr. Elizabeth Gerhardt, The Cross andd Gendercide

The Role of the Church When Faced With Victims of Violence?

Posted by Sarah Beckler on Nov 5, 2012 9:18:00 AM

A guest post by Dr. Elizabeth Gerhardt, professor of theology and social ethics at Northeastern Seminary

Read More

Topics: domestic violence, church, church's response to violence

Subscribe Here!

Recent Posts

Posts by Tag

See all