NORTHEASTERN
SEMINARY BLOG

Posts about:

Doctor of Ministry

The Doctor of Ministry Program Was Like a Rocket Boost

rocket launch

After I had completed my Master of Divinity degree I engaged in many seminars, professional development events, spiritual life refreshments, and other ongoing educational opportunities. But I was "chomping at the bit" for something much more rigorous, a kind of personal and professional development that had real accountability and required authentic advancement.

The doctoral program at Northeastern Seminary provided all of that, and more, for me. I figured I was about three quarters of the way through my career as a pastor (making many assumptions, of course) and I did not want to just coast my way toward retirement. The entire experience was like having the third stage rocket boost me higher than I imagined possible.

Read More

Two Ways to Make Time for a D.Min. Degree

clock calendar time

I was in my late 50s when I made the decision to start the D. Min. program. At that point, my time was divided between two challenging occupations. For half of each week, I was engaged in the practice of law at a large law firm. For the other half of each week, I was employed as the assistant director of U. S. ministries for an association of churches. 

As I look back on my D.Min. years, I realize that the journey was actually a very smooth one. The studies proved to be a relaxation for me—especially the residency week of class. As it worked out, the program fit nicely with my two jobs and was not a source or pressure or stress. It was a joy.

Read More