Northeastern Seminary Blog

The Season of Anticipation in a Time of Retreat

Posted by Lisa Bennett on Dec 9, 2016 11:00:00 AM

Advent Blog_Retreat_12.8.16.jpg

Space to ask questions.
Space to listen to God’s Spirit.
Space to let insights, impressions, and reflections
bump into each other and converge for discovery.
Space for your own spirit to be still, restore, integrate,
and seek elements of faith in the certainty of God’s presence.

Read More

Topics: advent, reflection, spiritual formation

Northeastern Seminary Women’s Retreat Reflection: Part 2

Posted by Dr. Rebecca S. Letterman on Jun 2, 2016 9:00:00 AM

April_2016_013-912882-edited.jpg

I’ve had the privilege of attending ten of the eleven Northeastern Seminary women’s retreats at the Abbey of the Genesee. Each year, I experience the deep peace of the Abbey grounds, nestled in the wide-open beauty of the Genesee River Valley, and the rich fellowship with a group of fun, wise, kind, godly women who gather together there for a day to step out of our normal routines and enter the rhythms of rest that make retreats so nurturing. Each year, the experience is wonderful, but different from all the others. This year was no different.

Read More

Topics: prayer, spiritual formation, reflection, community

Northeastern Seminary Women’s Retreat Reflection: Part 1

Posted by Dr. Rebecca S. Letterman on May 28, 2016 9:00:00 AM

April_2016_016-371496-edited.jpg

“Do you tell the truth?” That was the theme the Northeastern Seminary Women’s Retreat with Marlena Graves this April at the Bethany House at the Abbey of the Genesee. The sun was shining, the air was brisk, and all the women who gathered came humbly open to discern together what God might be wanting to say to us in our various seasons of ministry and life.

Read More

Sabbath-Keeping: An Intentional Endeavor

Posted by Maria Rambuski on Dec 2, 2014 9:51:00 AM

At a recent lecture Dr. Matthew Sleeth discussed the necessity of Sabbath rest and why this command often gets overlooked or goes underappreciated even within the Body of Christ. In his attempt to remind us of Sabbaths past he asked that we remember some of the special things that happened on Sunday’s when we were children which, for most, meant recalling a time where Blue Laws were still observed which made it almost as impossible to break the Sabbath as today’s culture does to keep it.

Read More

Topics: spiritual formation, reflection, pastor, person in ministry, seminary alumni, sabbath-keeping

Looking for the Resurrection from the Dead, Life of the World to Come

Posted by Lisa Bennett on Mar 28, 2014 3:34:00 PM

I entered into lent this year captivated by the idea of anticipating the resurrection. It has been 10 years since I began to observe Lent. During those years I have fasted from habits and I have fasted from food. I have contemplated dying to self, wrestling with sin, and receiving forgiveness. But this year as I entered Lent I was captivated by the anticipation of the Resurrection.

Read More

Topics: spiritual formation, personal formation, Lent, resurrection, transfiguration

Our Struggles—Danger, Punishment, Reward

Posted by Lisa Bennett on Mar 24, 2014 12:24:00 PM

iStock candles SmallbO wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Romans 7:24

Read More

Topics: spiritual formation, personal formation, redemption, Lent, personal stuggle

A Call to Repentance

Posted by Lisa Bennett on Mar 20, 2014 2:18:00 PM

describe the imageIn the Old Testament book of Joel, we see the author warning the Israelites about a plague of locusts which will come and overtake their lands, destroying their crops, and leaving them with no food. This coming locust invasion is the direct result of their disobedience to God. But it’s not too late, this invasion can be stopped if the people will just repent of their sins and follow God. 

Read More

Growth in the Night Times of Life

Posted by Lisa Bennett on Mar 19, 2014 9:45:00 PM

bud sproutIn the Deep South, although the first day of spring is still officially a few weeks away, the plants and trees around my neighborhood are beginning to show signs of re-birth. Winter is slipping away. Shoots and blossoms, while mostly dormant at present, will soon burst forth with glorious expression.

Read More

Topics: spiritual formation, personal formation, desiring God, Lent, fruitful, growth

Compassion and Neuroscience—Sister, Can You Spare a Dollar?

Posted by Sarah Beckler on Sep 17, 2013 2:21:00 PM

A guest post by Diane Stephens, a keynote speaker at the McCown Symposium on September 23

Read More

Topics: spiritual formation, compassion, neuroscience

5 Things I Learned from my Youth Pastors

Posted by Peter Englert on Sep 10, 2013 12:35:00 PM

Three individuals highly influenced my spiritual growth from 7th-12th grade: Steve Bellavia, Craig Riportella, and Dan Schmidt. These youth pastors did far more than play games or pull pranks. Each one left an indelible mark on who I am today. As NES focuses on aspects of youth ministry, I wanted to share a few lessons I gleaned from these mentors.

Read More

Topics: spiritual formation, youth ministry, youth leaders, youth pastors

Subscribe Here!

Recent Posts

Posts by Tag

See all