Northeastern Seminary Blog

Sabbath-Keeping: Practicing Openness

Posted by Maria Rambuski on Dec 21, 2014 1:42:00 PM

“You don’t have to try so hard. You don’t have to bend until you break.” I hear these words through my car radio and they fill my soul. Colbie Caillat’s song “Try” is not a theological treatise by any means, but it sure is insightful!

Trying describes today’s teens. As I work in a youth group setting I see first-hand how they try. They are trying to: get good grades, earn money, make friends, beat records, get scholarships, help their family, get a car, and even to escape pain. They’re busy. They’re following the adult model. We all want the best. We all want to be the best. We will pay great prices to get and be the best.

Read More

Topics: interacting with God, reflection, ministry, sabbath-keeping

Sabbath-Keeping: So We Can Look For God

Posted by Maria Rambuski on Dec 14, 2014 1:30:00 PM

Last year I traveled to Peru to talk with some Free Methodist pastors about the importance of self-care in ministry. One of the highlights of that trip for me was a small group time where we talked about taking a Sabbath rest each week. Most of the pastors in the group were bi-vocational, and poured themselves into their ministry whenever they had the opportunity. The idea of taking a rest each week, while acknowledged as imSlide1portant, was also experienced as a real challenge.

Read More

Misconceptions About Clergy and Laity

Posted by Sarah Champignon on Jan 23, 2012 3:51:00 PM
Read More

Topics: pastor, clergy, person in ministry, interacting with God

Subscribe Here!

Recent Posts

Posts by Tag

See all